Icy encounters  

Posted by: @JinomTo in , ,

January's been a pretty looong month for me. To surmise, job is going well (bar the 'longer' hours) and loving my flat at MHS! We have finished buying, carrying, assembling, organising and tidying the furniture, apartment and my room! Had a housewarming last weekend that dragged onto this week for people who were off travelling instead. Not bad, finishing everything within 2 weeks of moving (and jetting off skiing in between too!!). For some reason it felt like I've been living there for longer than 2 weeks, but the novelty factor is still very much alive! And I've been behaving, no major shopping sprees on the way home, only a quickie last week where I picked up a couple of skirts and a dress for a whopping £27 from Zara! hehehehe.... see, bargain!

Skiing at Les Gets / Avoriaz
There was no snow! Yep, we arrive at Geneva and all throughout the car drive to Les Gets we were reminded of the lack of snow when you can still see the greens and browns of the lovely alps. After settling in at the cosy chalet, we were taken to the ski shop to get our boots & skis. Apparently there's piddly amounts of snow at Les Gets that we could 'play' with since it was essentially half a day remaining. Day 1, did not manage to grasp skiing.. Injuries: none

Second day was bright and early to meet our ski instructor: JOE. Yep, it was quite a good sight too! hahaha!! Unfortunately it was raining throughout the day and the 2 hour lesson finished pretty quickly.. Snow plough I could not do, but apparently I could parallel a little! Well, thanks to Steven for being so patient with me, but I was just a big chicken shit cos I couldn't control myself. He guided me up and down the slope (with all the little brats just weaving in and out cos they got the blardy hang of it!!) even though I threw tanties and sulked and . And he was nice enough to carry my skis for me the whole day too...hehehe... *thank you* Day 2, still did not manage to grasp skiing.. Injuries: couple of bruises on the knees *ouch*

Third day I was dreading going to the slopes and face Joe. After already copping a few yesterday, I wondered what he was going to say about my incompetence. Surprisingly he was very patient and tought us to plough once again. And then dragged us up the slope again. After doing a couple of C's he decided that I was actually competent and let go of my poles and made me go down the mountain myself. That was a big shock and I guess that's how I learnt! hehehe.. such a great feeling though!!! Couple more rounds up and down the montain and he took us to the "big slopes" at the other side of the mountain..We finally got onto the chair lifts (which I recall falling flat a few times during the last trip at uni!) But la-di-da, everyone was fine, and gradually skiied down the slope to Le Yeti for a well deserved hot choccie! We learnt lots of things in 3's for the rest of the lessons, like "3 ways of learning", "3 ways of turning", "3 ways of..." (everything comes in 3 with Joe!) The rest of the day was just more skiing around the baby blue runs, and it was a perfect day!!! Yippee!! Day 3, finally skied properly!! Injuries: a head-on collision...some chick seriously ran straight into me from behind!

Fourth day..was raining again...was contemplating whether or not to ski, only had half a day before having to pack up and leave. So due to peer pressure, I went skiing. But I finally got a lovely sight of actual snow fall! Yep, it snowed! hehehe... was very pretty to see, though conditions were foggy and difficult to see. After skiing I was finally convinced that I deserved my Apres Ski boots (which I vowed to buy if I grasp and appreciate the finer elements of skiing...after the first day!) And because I'd already narrowed down which few pairs I wanted, it was merely quick look at them again, and finally settling on something different (but better!) cos they didn't display the white/brown pair in the shops! Pretty and cheap..but more importantly, matches perfectly with the ski gear for the next round of skiing! hehehe....

Ice Skating @ Somerset House - 27/1/07
During my first trip to London some 3 years ago, I walked past a magnificent place called Somerset House. And since it was November, they were about to open the ice skating season. Unfortunately the official opening date was after I left, but the place did look very magical and pretty. This was the first open air skating rink I've seen, and to top it off it was in a beautiful surrounding. When I came over, I vowed to go ice skating there, to fulfil my wish from 3 years ago! So having procrastinated long enough (already skated at the Museum of Natural History at Kensington last year), I booked for a session on a Saturday night 2 days before closing date and dragged Steven with me! Eventhough we arrived late due to tube closures, it was a lovely night, at least it wasn't raining! Few prudent laps around the rink and it became fun, except for the boy scouts group that seem to enjoy the repeated falling down process...I think they were doing it on purpose! So I don't exactly have the natural abilities to skate freely yet, but at least it was fun! Will hopefully try the rink at Central Park in New York next month!!

This entry was posted on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 and is filed under , , . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

2 comments

Post a Comment