I went to Fat Duck Restaurant  

Posted by: @JinomTo in

The 2 months booking finally came and we ventured to Maidenhead train station and a short taxi ride to THE FAT DUCK RESTAURANT. This has been voted the #2 restaurant in the world by the coveted San Pellegrino ratings.


The Fat Duck is opened by Heston Blumenthal who uses molecular biology in his cooking - couple of dishes was cooked with liquid nitrogen, and static foam, yes it doesn't disappear unless down your mouth! Of course, I opted for the Tasting (Degustation) Menu:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

TASTING MENU
NITRO-GREEN TEA AND LIME MOUSSE (2001)

OYSTER, PASSION FRUIT JELLY, LAVENDERPOMMERY

GRAIN MUSTARD ICE CREAM, RED CABBAGE GAZPACHO

JELLY OF QUAIL, LANGOUSTINE CREAM, PARFAIT OF FOIE GRASOAK MOSS AND TRUFFLE TOAST(Homage to Alain Chapel)

SNAIL PORRIDGE Joselito ham

ROAST FOIE GRAS "BENZALDEHYDE" Almond fluid gel, cherry, chamomile

"SOUND OF THE SEA"

SALMON POACHED IN LIQUORICE GEL Artichokes, vanilla mayonnaise and “Manni” olive oil

BALLOTINE OF ANJOU PIGEONBlack pudding “made to order”, pickling brine and spiced juices

HOT AND ICED TEA (2005)

MRS MARSHALL’S MARGARET CORNET

PINE SHERBET FOUNTAIN (PRE-HIT)

MANGO AND DOUGLAS FIR PUREE - Bavarois of lychee and mango, blackcurrant sorbet,
blackcurrant and green peppercorn jelly

PARSNIP CEREAL

NITRO-SCRAMBLED EGG AND BACON ICE CREAM (2006) Pain perdu, tea jelly

PETITS FOURS
Mandarin aerated chocolate, Violet tartlet, Carrot and orange lolly
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Having been through the gastronomic experience, many people have asked 'Is it good?' or 'Is it worth the price?' And my response is definately - it is a unique and interesting experience. I found myself trying to decipher ingredients within the food I tasted, but morever, I enjoyed the journey from start to finish. There is no restaurant meal which I have eaten that can be compared to that. The meal was a well-thought process and no 3-course meal can compare to the little tasters I sampled at Fat Duck. Many of the ingredients were exquisite and created dishes that I have never encountered, tasted or would've chosen.

So my favourites from the day (bits N pieces!):
  • from the 4th course - PARFAIT OF FOIE GRASOAK MOSS AND TRUFFLE TOAST
  • the 6th course - ROAST FOIE GRAS "BENZALDEHYDE" (never had roasted foie gras before, definately tastes better than the cold stuff!)
  • the 8th course - SALMON POACHED IN LIQUORICE GEL
  • the 13th course - MANGO AND DOUGLAS FIR PUREE
  • from the 17th (and last) course - Violet tartlet

And the pictures...

This entry was posted on Sunday, August 31, 2008 and is filed under . You can leave a response and follow any responses to this entry through the Subscribe to: Post Comments (Atom) .

1 comments

Your food review is an interesting read. Probably can make a career out of it, in all honesty. But you gotta do something about the colours of the blog, red is so garish! *Ouch, pain*

Post a Comment